2023 Alpharetta Summer Camp Convenient to Johns Creek & Cumming, Georgia
Each summer McGinnis Woods Country Day School offers an exciting Alpharetta summer camp program in the Alpharetta, Johns Creek and Cumming, GA area. The summer camp is available to both McGinnis Woods and others. Go to summer camp forms »
The curriculum for each summer is planned by a committee of teachers from our school to ensure that the program is fun, active, and educational. Children enjoy a wide variety of activities including both outside physical activities and creative indoor play. All campers will take an exciting field trip each week, using McGinnis Woods Country Day School buses. Every seat on every school bus has a seat belt. Guest speakers and active campus theme days round out each week.
This summer, as a portion of our summer camp, we will be offering several specific specialty camps. These camps will be a chance for kids to have fun learning more about a subject they enjoy in a focused, one week camp. They will run from 9:30 – 11:00 each day for a week. These will be hosted by the teachers of McGinnis Woods.
*Please complete a camp registration form to register for specialty camps. Campers signing up only for the specialty camp will not participate in field trips.
McGinnis Woods Country Day School facilities include a new sport court, a turf field, multiple playground areas, and a mini-rock climbing volcano.
Junior and Senior Camp programs are available for children 4 – 13 years. The themes change each summer.
2023 Specialty Camps
- A Blooming Artist - Roll up your sleeves and get down and dirty creating art. Campers will be painting with sponges, painting with rolling marbles, and having lots of messy art fun! This camp focuses on the experience of creating art rather than the final product and encourages campers to think outside of the box.
- Art and the Beach – This incredible week of mixed media will focus on everything beach. Campers will paint a beautiful seascape on a canvas while learning techniques in perspective and build amazing castle sculptures in clay. Don’t miss this unique art camp that uses the beach as its muse.
- Art in the Great Outdoors – Come be inspired by the beauty of nature! Campers will visit the outdoor classroom and enjoy nature during a week of mixed media art exploration. Don’t miss this exciting week of art exploration using a variety of materials and the inspiration derived from nature!
- Art Smorgasbord – Roll up your sleeves! This entertaining camp will let campers run wild with their creative sides as they explore and learn about many different types of art media. Campers will have a blast and get messy creating ceramic pieces, painting with watercolors, making clay sculptures, and more.
- Book Art – Illustrations in books are created using many different artistic techniques. Come explore how illustrations are made during this exciting week! Campers will read the book, learn about the process, and then create beautiful works in that style. Some styles and books applied are The Hungry Caterpillar, Dr. Seuss,
and Pete the Cat.
- Ceramics – Join the fun of creating your own clay masterpieces! Campers will design and create unique pieces that they will fire and paint. Come learn the
techniques necessary to work with clay. Artists will create multiple pieces to take home and enjoy!
- Cooking - Come learn the basics of cooking in a fun atmosphere! Campers will learn basic skills including how to read a recipe, how to measure properly, how to use common kitchen appliances, and how to understand cooking terms. While practicing these new skills, they will whip up delicious foods to enjoy!
- Fairy Tale Fun– Join us for a week of fairy tales with a fun twist! Campers will create and decorate their own fairy cottage, make crafts and maybe a spooky cave!
- Holiday Crafting – Do you love the holidays and all the arts-and-crafts pieces used to decorate? Then join this class! Campers will create pieces using various mediums as they celebrate a different holiday each day of the week!
- PreK Boot Camp - Join one of our Pre-K teachers as she reads books, reviews letters and sounds, and completes hands-on activities to keep skills fresh for our students coming into Pre-K4.
- Robotics – This camp is a perfect mixture of excitement and learning, using LEGO WeDo Robots. Using LEGO bricks, students follow step by step instructions to build an airplane rescue, a smart spinning top and a sailboat storm. Campers will learn how to program and operate their creations using an iPad.
- Shark Week - In this exciting week, campers will learn all about sharks. Come join us for a JAW-some time as we explore everything shark related. At the end of our exciting week, we will dig and discover three real shark tooth fossils
- Seuss on the Loose– There’s a cat, in a hat, and a fox, wearing socks! Watch out...Seuss is on the loose! Join this week of stories, games, crafts, and silly fun!
- Sports Sampler - Not sure what sport is best? Then join this exciting sports smorgasbord camp that lets campers participate in a variety of sports, including basketball, volleyball, soccer, hockey, and gym games. Each day will consist of multiple sports activities.
- The Best of PE Sports – Calling all PE fanatics! Join this week of PE games and activities using all the cool equipment kids love! Campers will spend the week playing everyone’s favorite PE games. Whether campers play inside or outside, they will work up a sweat having a blast!
- Ultimate Recess - Everyone loves recess! Campers will play team games and individual games where fun, and sportsmanship are the main goals. Games will include favorites like capture the flag, soccer, four square and more.
- Wiggle and Giggle – Come “get your energy out” and explore during this week of fitness and fun! Campers will enjoy a variety of physical activities and imaginative play, hula hoop fun, yoga, and silly pretend games. All these kinesthetic activities will help campers develop gross motor skills and keep them active.
- Water Mania – Join this awesome week filled with water fun, everyone’s favorite summertime exploit! Bring your bathing suit and water shoes for fun and games.